The Blues Room, 19 August 2015
Laura Collins and the Back Porch Blues Band play Hamilton's Nivara Lounge tonight (20th August), they'll be delivering their back porch blend of acoustic blues.
You can expect to hear a little BB, a little Koko, some Muddy Waters and many more with soulful vocals, sweet guitar solos, honky tonk style piano, warm upright bass and percussive drums.
The Back Porch Boys are all journeymen who have played many juke joints in their time. One of those talents is Wayne Mason, a well-known Kiwi songwriter in his other life, also one hell of a stonkin’ boogie blues piano player. So look out for 'Mad Professor' style wild solos with a wonderful sense of abandon. John O'Connor on guitar has worked with many of New Zealand’s well-known musicians and is considered one of New Zealand’s guitar legends. He has played and recorded with many well known artists including the NZSO, Kiri Te Kanawa, Mark Williams, Ron Goodwin, BB King, Chuck Berry and Bo Diddley. In the engine room George Barris (long time NZ player, of early fame in the band 'Highway') on mellow upright bass and Pete Cogswell on Back Porch Drums.
In this episode we interview Laura and spin a few of her awesome tracks plus some tracks from Ann Cole, Bonnie Raitt, Lloyd Spiegel, King Leo, Luke Burnsright, C.W. Stoneking and more!! Enjoy!
1. Laura Collins and the Back Porch Blues Band - Crazy Love
2. Ann Cole - Got My Mojo Working
3. Laura Collins and the Back Porch Blues Band - Wade In The Water
4. Bonnie Raitt & Habib Koite - Back Around
5. Lloyd Spiegel - Mississippi Sun
6. Big Joe Turner - Lipstick, Powder and Paint
7. Ligthnin' Hopkins - Got To Move Your Baby
8. King Leo - Prisoner
9. Luke Burnsright - Pallet On Your Floor
10. C.W. Stoneking - She's A Bread Baker