31 October 2009
01. Mammie Smith - Crazy Blues
24 October 2009
THEBLUESROOM#197 - Bluesin With Big Nate - 21 Oct 09
Another free flowing blues session, this time with a few more new musical treats from Downunder (Australia): Doc Span Blues and Fiona Boyes, both some of my favorite Australian artists. I also spin a few tunes from new albums of NZ artists and a tune to start the whole dang thing off from Corey Harris, I play his reggae as well on my reggae show GO FEET! Radio.
01. Corey Harris - Blues
02. Doc Span Blues - For You My Love
03. Fiona Boyes - Howlin at Door
04. Blind Lemon Pledge - The Red Rooster
05. Julian Temple Band - Quiet Earth [NZ]
06. Royala - Me and You [NZ]
07. The Vaughan Brothers - Hard To Be
08. James Cotton - Down At My Buryin
09. Hammond Gamble - Whistling the Blues in the Rain [NZ]
10. The Dirty Aces - You Might Do Without Me
11. Hans Theesink - Bloodsucker Blues
Download episode 197 - Bluesin' with Big Nate
THEBLUESROOM#196 - Rockin With Fraser - 14 Oct 09
Hamilton Blues Society committee member, Fraser, joins Nate in the Blues Room for a rockin good time. New to the Blues Room is the album from Irish rockers, The Strats. Dig it!!
01. The Strats - Standin' at the Station
02. John Lee Hooker - Dimples
03. Chain - Snatch It Back and Hold It
04. Peter Green - Stop Breaking Down Blues
05. Super Chicken - Crystal Ball Eyes
06. Cream - Spoonful
07. Rod Piazza and the Mighty Flyers
08. The Strats - Torpedo to Your Heart
09. The Thunderbirds - C-Boy's Blues
10. Roy Buchanan and Delbert McClinton - The Chockin Kind
11. Alberta Hunter - Darktown Strutters Ball
12. John Lee Hooker and Van Morrison - Don't Look Back
Download episode#196 - Rockin With Fraser
10 October 2009
The Blues Room - Sean Chambers - 07-10-9-09
1. Sean Chambers - In the Winter Time
2. Sean Chambers - Too Much Blues
3. Etta James - That's Alright
4. Cee Cee James - Roll Me Over
5. Keb Mo - She Just Wants To Dance
6. Sean Chambers - Brown Sugar
7. Sean Chambers - All the Kings Horses
8. Anni Pipper - Blues Before Sunrise
9. Albert King - Born Under a Bad Sign
10. Carlos del Junco - Heaven's Where You Dwell
11. Sean Chambers - Ten Till Midnight
12. Sean Chambers - You're Gonna Miss Me
Download Episode 195
DOWNLOAD EPISODE#194 HERE
Rob Paparozzi - Etruscan Soul 30 SEPT 09
This is an amazing album by an amazing artist. Rob's vocals are gritty and on key, his harmonica playing is superb (both diatonic and chromatic), a must have album for all interested in harmonica, blues, soul and funk. Sorry Rob for my lousy pronunciation of your name etc.
1. Cream - Strange Brew
2. Rob Paparozzi - Strange Brew
3. Rob Paparozzi - Keep It Simple
4. Paul Butterfield Blues Band - Thank You Mr Poobah
5. Norton Buffalo - Shuffalo
6. Charlie McCoy - Fingertips
7. Dennis Gruenling - If You Were Mine
8. Rob Paparozzi - She's Too Good For Me
9. Rob Paparozzi - Love the One You're With
10. Rob Paparozzi - Ticket To Ride
11. Paul Butterfield - Nut Popper #1
12. Big Walter Horton - Have a Good Time
13. Kim Wilson - Lowdown
14. Rob Paparozzi - Body and Soul
DOWNLOAD EPISODE#194 HERE
7 October 2009
Sonny Boy Williamson II
Bye Bye Bird
In this video we get to see the legendary Sonny Boy Williamson do an entire song solo, just him and his tin sandwich. This video is a lesson in what classic Blues harmonica is all about.
Here you get to see his famous trick of putting the harp IN his mouth and playing with no hands! WOW!
Born Alex "Rice" Miller, his performing and recording career is legend. Although his actual birth date is often a matter of dispute, his gravestone shows his birth date as March 11, 1908. He played with everyone from Robert Johnson, Robert Nighthawk, Robert Jr. Lockwood, and Elmore James and even with rock legends Eric Clapton, Jimmy Page and Robbie Robertson near the end of his career. He died in 1965 but his influence lives on today as harmonica players such as Rick Estrin can often be seen performing the no hands playing style in tribute to Sonny Boy.
All Music Guide has a detailed biography of Sonny Boy. They also have links to listen to samples of many of his songs there. CLICK HERE to see the the bio on their website.
To see this cool video on our website, click the play button below or click the photo above.
There is also a great website devoted to Sonny Boy at www.sonnyboy.com. There is a wealth of information about Sonny Boy's life there as well as a second version of this same song in an entirely different clip. Click Here to see that version.
For other videos on our website CLICK HERE.
The Blues Room on Community Radio Hamilton, New Zealand