The Blues Room, 8 April 2015
This year we celebrate the birth of Eleanora Fagan aka Billie Holiday 100 years ago on 7th April 1915. She rose to be a social phenomenon in the 1950s. She recorded 100s of songs many of which remain staples for jazz, blues, soul and reggae artists to cover today. We pay tribute to Billie Holiday in this episode and hear many great tributes to her. Happy Birthday Billie Holiday - Lady Day Sing The Blues!!
Acknowledgements: content from Time and NPR are used in this episode, we thank the producers of these quality audio clips and hope our including them is taken as a compliment.
1. Nina Simone - I Want A Little Sugar In My Bowl
2. Peggy Lee - Fever
3. Dinah Washington - This Can't Be Love
4. Ann Cole - Got My Mojo Working
5. Wynton Marsalis talks about the artistic vision of Billie Holiday on her 100th birthday
6. Annie Lennox - Strange Fruit
7. Elizabeth Blair (NPR) - The Strange Story Of The Man Behind 'Strange Fruit'
8. Marcus Miller - Strange_Fruit
9. God Bless The Child - Blood, Sweat and Tears
10. Jackie Wilson - Crazy She Calls Me
11. Amy Winehouse - There Is No Greater Love
12. Billy Holiday - Lady Sings The Blues