Little Walter, born Marion Walter Jacobs (May 1, 1930 – February 15, 1968), was an American blues harmonica player whose revolutionary technique has earned him comparisons to Charlie Parker and Jimi Hendrix for its innovation and impact on succeeding generations. His virtuosity and musical innovations fundamentally altered many listeners' expectations of what was possible on blues harmonica. Little Walter's body of work earned him a spot in The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 2008, making him the only artist ever to be inducted specifically for his work as a harmonica player.
His legacy has been enormous: he is widely credited by blues historians as the artist primarily responsible for establishing the standard vocabulary for modern blues and blues rock harmonica players. His influence can be heard in varying degrees in virtually every modern blues harp player who came along in his wake, from blues greats such as Junior Wells, James Cotton, George "Harmonica" Smith, Carey Bell, and Big Walter Horton, through modern-day masters Kim Wilson, Rod Piazza, William Clarke, and Charlie Musselwhite, in addition to blues-rock crossover artists such as Paul Butterfield and John Popper of Blues Traveler.In this episode I feature music from of my favorite artists and bands that pay tribute to the music of the harmonica genius, Little Walter. Stay tuned for part two!
1. Dennis Gruenling - Hot Shot
2. Sonny Boy Terry - Business Man
3. King Leo ans the Growling Dogs - It's Too Late Brother [NZ]
4. Bacon Fat - Up the Line
5. James T, Doc Span, and Dirk Dubois - Temperature
6. Paul Ubana Jones - Blues With a Feeling [NZ]
7. Dave Thomas and Wallace Coleman - You Better Watch Yourself
8. Dennis Gruenling with Kim Wilson - As Long As I Have You
9. Junior Wells - Juke
10. The Blues Blazers - I Got To Find My Baby
11. Blue Family - Mellow Down Easy
12. Jimmy Rogers with Carey Bell - Blues All Day Long
13. Billy Branch and Kenny Neal - My Babe
14. Rod Piazza - I Don't Play
Download episode # 207 Blues with a Feeling, part one
Little Walter facebook group
ATTENTION: Will the person who continually finds something in breach of their rights about this post PLEASE email me specific details. I am in no way wanting to offend by posting this so please set the record straight by emailing me your problem, thank you. I have removed photos, links etc, please tell me exactly what the offensive content is!!!