18 July 2007

M Y S P A C E . C O M - Is it really my space?


OK, so it took me a while to cotton on to what all the hype was about regarding this MySpace thang. To be honest I wasn't interested. I had no time for MySpace, I was trying to work out to use this Blogger site!

So I finally joined and now I'm converted. I dig MySpace for what it offers me FREE of charge. However, I'm not so sure it's altogether 'my space' entirely. I guess I was a little naive to think I would have a place on the web where I get to control of what happens. Well to a large extent I can control my profile, I have the power to edit as I please, but I don't have control over who decides to SPAM me! And once spam arrives it then become MySpam!

Some 17year old Thug Rapper from India inviting me to subscribe to his blog of which there was none. An artist, well-intentioned I'm sure, wanting me to view her work (which I don't fancy in the least) and some then theres the folk who want to send you every minute on the minute a floral e-card with some deep and meaning quote like: Soar with the Eagles - Reach your Potential.

Anyways, if you're reading this you yourself might be wondering just what am I doing by writing this? Point taken, heres my likes and dislikes about MySpace(MS) so far, they might change next month.

Likes:
  • Networking -MS has put me in contact with so many people from around the globe that I would not have met otherwise. Varied people of all ages, cultures and creeds with interests both similar and otherwise.
  • It FREE - Yay!
  • Music - MS is growing in terms of band and musician profiles plus many of them have samples of their music and FREE mp3s for downloading.
  • SPAM - theres a feature once you join whereby all the people you accept as your friends can post you (and all their friends) a bulletin. These bulletins don't show up on your profile which is great. And then what comments do show up on your profile can be deleted if they aren't to your liking.
Dislikes:
  • Cumbersome - to start with it was a nightmare! But once I found my way around it was fine. I learnt quickly that if theres something I see that I like by someone else I just need to ask them how they did it. I've made two great friends this way - they are now invaluable.
  • SPAM
Check out my M Y S P A C E . C O M profile
http://www.myspace.com/nzbluesroom

No comments: